Download to USB
A USB flash drive is a portable storage device that allows you to store files of different formats (for example, text, MP3). The drives come in a variety of memory sizes and can now store up to 256 GB of data, which is a larger storage capacity than some computer internal hard drives. They are cross-platform storage devices which means they can used on both PCs and Macs. Regardless of the operating system you use, downloading files to a USB flash drive is a simple process.
- 1 Connect the USB flash drive to an empty USB port on your computer. Depending on your computer, there can be USB ports on the back, side or front. The flash drive can also be connected to an external port hub device. Once you connect it, the computer will automatically recognize it as a removal device.
- 2 Double-click “My Computer” on the desktop. You should see your USB flash drive’s icon listed together with other removal devices on your computer.
- 3 Double-click the flash drive’s icon to open the flash drive window and reveal the contents saved on it. Locate the file you want to download to the flash drive from its current location on your computer and right-click it. Click “Copy.”
- 4 Right-click an empty spot on the flash drive window and click “Paste” to download the file to the flash drive.
- 5 Close the flash drive when you are done. Click the “Safely Remove Hardware” icon on the system tray. A new window will open. Left-click the flash drive and click “Stop.” A message will pop-up indicating that it is safe to remove the device from the computer. Disconnect the USB flash drive from the computer (or external hub).
- 1 Connect the USB flash drive to an empty USB port on your computer. The computer will automatically recognize the device and display its icon on the desktop.
- 2 Double-click the flash drive icon on the desktop to open its window and reveal the contents on it.
- 3 Locate the file you want to download to the flash drive from the location where you have it saved on your computer and right-click it. Click “Copy.”
- 4 Right-click an empty spot on the flash drive window and click “Paste” to download the file to the flash drive. Close the flash drive window when you are done and drag the flash drive icon to the trash can to safely eject it from the computer.